SOCIAL: 70% of all accidents fault of cyclists?

jen schradie schradie at hotmail.com
Tue May 8 09:37:27 PDT 2012

really? someone on my kids' listserv (below) just posted this.

j e n  s c h r a d i e

Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 09:31:17 -0700
From: jaskart at yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [noccs] Bicycle safety - parents and kids
To: schradie at hotmail.com

Those efforts would be worthwhile (cutting back bushes, etc.) but futile if cyclists don't take responsibility for their own safety. It is one thing to be empowered, and another to be oblivious and entitled where it doesn't work. 70% of all bicycle accidents are the fault of the cyclist, not the driver! CHP data right there.Putting responsibility on the drivers is exactly what this parent did, and it is a sure recipe for danger.
I grew up in San Francisco, during the 80's and there were no bike lanes, etc. and a LOT fewer accidents involving bikes, because cyclists understood that their own safety was their responsibility. Can't pass the buck in this situation. Kids need to STOP at intersections and busy driveways/parking lot entrances, even
 when they're walking, but especially when they're riding a bike.