SOCIAL: 5/29 Use Your Voice workshop (writing)

Ellisa Feinstein ellisafeinstein at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 13:59:54 PDT 2012

Hey all,

I thought some people on this list, especially women, might be interested in this awesome workshop being led by Rose Aguilar who is the host of KALW's "Your Call," contributing writer to Al Jazeera English and Truthout, and is a former reporter and weekend host for CNET.

Cheers,
Ellisa

-----

Women, Speak Out! Use Your Voice Workshop

Tuesday, May 29, 6-9pm, in Potrero Hill, SF
$49 - Discounts available for students/unemployed/low-income
http://useyourvoice.eventbrite.com/

We need your voice. What you do, what you're passionate about, and what you believe in matters. The media shape the way we perceive the world, crucial issues, ourselves, and each other. We must be part of it.
In this workshop, you will learn how to:
*speak and write with confidence, authority, and expertise
*get your message out in an engaging and effective way
*promote your work with pride and confidence
Women make up 51% of the population, but our voices are missing in the national dialog:
*The guests on the Sunday morning political shows are overwhelmingly conservative, white, and male, according to a new study from Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting; In one-on-one interviews, 70% of partisan-affiliated guests were Republican, white (92%), and male (86%)
*Approximately 85% of op-eds are written by men
*Last year, women wrote 26% of stories in the New Yorker; 16% at Harper's; a mere 12% in the New York Review of Books; and 27% in the Nation, according to VIDA: Women in Literary Arts
*The 2012 finalists for the National Magazine Awards failed to include one woman (not one!)
*On National Public Radio, women represented only 26% of the sources in 2010