SOCIAL: selling a car on craigslist

chandra faulkner chachachandra at gmail.com
Tue May 1 12:01:20 PDT 2012

I have both bought and sold cars on craigslist - this one doesn't jump out
as a scam, but your never know.

I bought a car from a elderly couple who were nervous about me because I
was very eager to buy it their car (a very low mile classic at an amazing
price).  They had me meet them at the DMV (actually a AAA office w/ a DMV
in it) so that if I did want to buy it, I would have to pay them in cash
and then go them inside and transfer the car immediately.  They also asked
to see my driver's license before I test drove the car, and the wife held
my car keys while I tooled around the neighborhood.  I respected their
cautiousness and had no trouble complying.  I drove away insured and with
the registration in my hand which was awesome.

If you're nervous about a suspicious "serious buyer", see if they're
willing to jump through similar hoops to insure your safety.

Good luck!

Chandra